It’s Homecoming season, which means college campuses across the country will be celebrating with their own unique traditions surrounding this revered collegiate holiday.
One school that throws an especially unrivaled Homecoming tradition is the University of Central Florida.
Here are 5 things you should know about “Spirit Splash”:
1. This is the UCF Reflecting Pond. Students are not allowed to be in it during the school year.
2. But Homecoming Week sets aside one day of the year when students are allowed to rush the Reflecting Pond, in what’s called “Spirit Splash.” Check out the video below to get a look at what goes on.
3. In 2011, Spirit Splash received the best campus tradition award from the National Association for Campus Activities.
4. Rubber ducks are a popular Reflecting Pond accessory during Spirit Splash, with sometimes up to a thousand of them being tossed in during the Homecoming spectacle. In fact, in 2012, the theme for the event was actually “What the Duck.”
5. This year marks the 18th year Spirit Splash has been going on, as it started in 1995, after the student body president’s cabinet members threw him into the Reflecting Pond and everyone jumped into the pond after him.
Does your school have a unique Homecoming tradition like this one? If so, what is it?